Updates in regards to the Outdoor 2020 Season for the week of June 1st.
IMPORTANT: Alberta Soccer’s (ASA) “Return to Play” document has been approved by Canada Soccer and is awaiting approval from the Government of Alberta and AHS. This puts us one step closer to an Outdoor season!
The SASA’s Return to Play Strategy has been submitted to ASA for approval. Our Strategy will include three phases, which will fall in line with Alberta Soccer and AHS guidelines. We are currently planning for this first phase and will be able to adapt quickly once a start date is announced. Timelines for and duration of each phase are not specified at this time.
Soccer Phase 1 – Return to Modified Training
– All sessions will be designed and led by certified SASA Technical staff and supported by Staff and volunteer coaches
– All training sessions will be under the strict guidelines of the Alberta Soccer’s Return to Play safety protocols
– Sessions will be program/age specific based on current registrations
– The program will be offered to both our Community and Impact players
– All sessions will be on City of St. Albert and Riel fields.
– Adjustments to Community program day of week and time may be needed and will be shared as soon as they are confirmed
Soccer Phase 2 – Return to Modified Games
– There is no definitive timeline on the progression to the phase
– Will include both Modified Training as well as a Modified (small-sided) Game component
Soccer Phase 3 – Return to Full soccer Games
– Return to regular soccer games without physical distancing requirements
– Requires Provincial Heath Authorities lifting all restrictions.
At present, all City of St. Albert fields remain closed to organized sports, groups and field bookings, however, spontaneous use by family units is encouraged. Social distancing must still be adhered to even during casual usage.
Club (Impact) Season
The external league in which our club teams participate (EMSA) continues to make it very evident that they are continuing to work toward being able to offer an Outdoor 2020 season. To this end, they will be preparing their own Return to Play document to be approved by ASA, AHS and the provincial government. More information regarding their progress will be shared as it becomes available.
The fields at 61 Riel Drive remain CLOSED to all usage – NO EXCEPTIONS. Any players found using Riel fields for any reason will be dealt with accordingly and sanctions may be issued.
SASA Office (61 Riel Drive)
Our office remains closed to the public until further notice, however, staff continues to work from various locations. All staff can be contacted via email and most responses can be expected within 24 hours of the time it was sent. We are still receiving deliveries of items relevant to the upcoming season so that we can best serve our members as quickly as possible when necessary.
St Albert Soccer will continue to provide live ball mastery training provided for all U9-19 players associated with SASA (Impact and Community) through the Zoom Meeting platform. There are no extra costs for these bonus Training sessions. All participants in these sessions must be registered players within the Alberta Soccer Association for the 2019-20 Season and are expected to adhere to proper social media conduct while participating. Those who display inappropriate conduct will be dealt with accordingly and sanctions may follow.
To reiterate, Alberta Soccer has made it clear that Districts can operate outdoor programs at their own discretion provided their Return to Play Strategy has been submitted and approved.
*Please be aware that while facilities have begun to reopen for casual usage, there is no formal soccer activities permitted as of yet based on restrictions imposed by Canada Soccer through the Alberta Soccer Association. This essentially encompasses all organized activities (training) and games.
The main goal of the St Albert Soccer Association is to be prepared so that ALL kids can play as soon as possible!!!
Thank you for your continued patience and support. We are looking forward to finally having our members return to the field of play in a safe and healthy manner.